The Journey Begins

January – A Healthy Me
Day 1

Wow.  I seriously don’t remember the last time I did that many dishes in one day.  When you live by yourself, you only have one pan and one mixing bowl and one measuring cup (okay, that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but still).  Nevertheless, I’m happy to say that I have accomplished day 1 of eating healthier foods that give me LIFE POWER!

Let me back up.  As I explained yesterday, I have created 12 intentions, one for each month of the year.  January is “A Healthy Me,’ because who doesn’t want to start the year with an intention to better the mind, body, and soul?  For the first 21 days of my journey, I will be following the quirky and fun Sadie Nardini on her 21-Day Yoga Body plan.  She has created a full meal plan, a unique yoga sequence, and daily actions to follow each day for the next 3 weeks.  To top it off she says things like “anyone who has vowed never to eat french fries ever again and then hungry hippoed an entire plate of the ones that his or her unsuspecting date ordered knows this to be true.”  HA, she had me giggling with that one.

Sadie believes in the 80/20 rule.  80% of the time, we should be invested in living, loving, eating, moving, thinking, and taking actions that nourish us and brings us more into balance.  The other 20% of the time, you might have a french fry or two, and that’s OKAY! Today, I strayed away from the french fries, and ate a peanut-butter, banana, and peach smoothie, greek yogurt with berries and flax seed, a quinoa veggie dish, and grilled mahimahi with apple-mango chutney.  Yeah, it was delish.

The yoga sequence of the day was all about balance, which really hit home for me.  When you start out on a new endeavor, it can seem so overwhelming, which is why so many of us quit before our program of choice has come to an end.  We, I, have to push past that feeling, because it isn’t until we are a little uncomfortable that true transformation occurs. There were so many times tonight after work where I wanted to just chill.  But I spent the last year of my life just chilling, and it really isn’t all that great.

I did something totally uncharacteristic of me, and I made up my own daily action rather than following Sadie’s.  My action: to complete a nagging task.  Those nagging tasks keep us from being productive and happy, which doesn’t lead to a very healthy life.  My nagging task:  un-decorate the Christmas Tree.  Not going to lie, it wasn’t fun.  At all.  The needles were extra prickly and painful.  But now it’s done, and I can do better things with my time tomorrow. 🙂

Image

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “The Journey Begins

  1. Jill I feel inspired to go tackle a nagging task. Off I go to read a huge stack of student papers. I look forward to reading them but… it seems so daunting. You are right, the stack will haunt me all weekend or I can just go do it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s